History on Bangalore and BBMP Draft
History on Bengaluru
Bangalore is draped over the Deccan Plateau at an altitude of 949 meters (3113 ft.) above sea level, which gives it possibly the best climate among all the cities in India. Legend has it that Bangalore got its name from the words "BendhaKaaLu" (which means boiled beans in the local language Kannada). King VeeraBallala of the Vijayanagara kingdom was once lost in a forest and happened to stumble upon a lonely cottage. An old woman that lived there could offer the starving king only boiled beans "BendhakaaLu" and the place came to be known as "BendhakaaLuooru" (ooru in Kannada means a city). BendhakaaLooru later came to be known as BengaLooru in Kannada and Bangalore in English. However, historical evidence shows that "BengaLooru" was recorded much before King Ballala's time in a 9th century temple inscription in the village of Begur. Even today "BengaLooru" exists within the city limits in Kodigehalli area and is called as "HalebengaLooru" or "Old Bangalore."
The present day city was designed by Kempegowda in the year 1537. During one of his hunting bouts, which was his favorite past time, Kempegowda was surprised to see a hare chase his dog and thus named the place as "gandubhoomi" (heroic place). Kempegowda I, who was in charge of Yelahanka, built a mud fort in 1537 and with the help of King Achutaraya, built the little towns of Balepet, Cottonpet and Chickpet, all inside the fort. Today, these little areas serve as the major wholesale and commercial market places in the city. Kempegowda's son erected the four watch towers to mark the boundaries of Bangalore which are traceable even today and they stand almost in the heart of the present city.
In the year 1638, ShahajiraoBhonsle, father of Shivaji, captured the city. In 1687, Aurangzeb's army captured Bangalore and sold it to the Wodeyars for a paltry sum of Rs.300,000. The Wodeyars then built the famous LalBagh in 1759, one of Bangalore's most beautifully laid out gardens. In the same year, Hyder Ali received Bangalore as a jagir from KrishnarajaWodeyar II. He fortified the southern fort and made Bangalore an army town.
When Tipu Sultan died in the 4th Mysore war in 1799, the British gave the kingdom, including Bangalore, to KrishnarajaWodeyar III but the British resident stayed in Bangalore.
In the beginning of the 19th century, the General Post Office was opened and the Cantonment was established nine years later in 1809. In 1831, alleging misrule by KrishnarajaWodeyar III, the British took over the administration of the Mysore Kingdom.
Under the British influence, Bangalore bloomed with modern facilities like the railways, telegraph, postal and police departments. The first train was flagged out of the city in 1859 and five years later in 1864, the lovely Cubbon Park was built by Sankey. The end of the century saw the building of AttaraKacheri and the Bangalore Palace. The 20th century saw the arrival of the first motorcar in the city.
In 1881, the British returned the city to the Wodeyars. Dewans like Sir Mirza Ismail and Sir M Visveswaraya were the pioneers to help Bangalore attain its modern outlook.
From then on, the city has grown in magnitudes, emerging into what you see and know of today. Bangalore is India's fifth largest and the fastest growing city in Asia.
Bruhat Bengaluru MahanagaraPalike
The history of municipal governance of Bangalore dates back to March 27, 1862, when nine leading citizens of the city formed a Municipal Board under the Improvement of Towns Act of 1850. Later, a similar Municipal Board was also formed in the Cantonment area of the city. The two boards were legalized in 1881, and functioned as two independent bodies called the Bangalore City Municipality and the Bangalore Civil and Military Station Municipality. The following year, the concept of elected representatives come into being and also saw the introduction of property tax.
After Indian independence, the two Municipal Boards were merged to form the Corporation of the City of Bangalore in 1949, under the Bangalore City Corporation Act. The corporation then consisted of 70 elected representatives and 50 electoral divisions. The name of the council then changed — first to Bangalore City Corporation (BCC) and then to Bangalore MahanagaraPalike (BMP).
In January 2007, the Karnataka Government issued a notification to merge the areas under existing Bangalore MahanagaraPalike with seven City municipal council (CMC)'s, one Town municipal council (TMC) and 111 villages around the city to form a single administrative body, Bruhat Bangalore MahanagaraPalike. The process was completed by April 2007 and the body was renamed 'Bruhat Bengaluru MahanagaraPalike'.
History on Bengaluru -> www.discoverbangalore.com
History on BBMP -> www.onlinebangalore.com
Bangalore Growth over Decades Map -> www.bbmprestructuring.org/wp/
Image credit: www.sahilonline.org (BBMP)